The Jackson County, Mississippi District Attorney’s Office has issued a new statement regarding the investigation into the death of Nolan Wells.
Wells was found dead on Horn Island the weekend of the Fourth of July after a trip with his friends to the island.
District Attorney Angel Meyers McIlrath issued a statement regarding the state of the investigation, as well as the pressure to release more information in the case.
This comes after Ben Crump, who is representing Wells’ family, issued a statement earlier this week offering a joint investigation of Wells’ phone after the family said they were sent a letter from McIlrath’s office alleging the family was not cooperating in the investigation of the contents of his phone.
McIlrath’s statement did not address the contents of any letter sent to the family from her office, citing that her office is held to a standard of the law amid the ongoing investigation into Wells’ death.
She also cautioned the public about believing what is being shared online, and stated that she cannot control what information is being shared and whether that information is being shared in context.
“Public commentary does not make the speaker transparent, just like exercising restraint consistent with the law does not make the process corrupt,” McIlrath shared in her new statement.
She went on to say that her obligation is to provide all evidence collected in Wells’ death to a grand jury for them to reach a decision on what happened to Wells.
“My obligation and commitment is to present the Grand Jury with all evidence collected in this case in order for them to reach a decision based on a thorough investigation, complete evidence presentation, the actual truth, and an understanding of the law. I am obligated to do so in keeping with the law and the rules of the court,” McIlrath said.
McIlrath also addressed pressure her office has received to release more information in the case, but referred back to her video statement on July 23 as to why she will not be sharing anything more at this time.
“I understand that a void is perceived when some are speaking publicly about a matter while others do not. I would be stepping outside the bounds of the law if I were to fill that void and share information publicly,” McIlrath said. “Filling the void would only serve to get ‘pressure’ off of me. Nolan deserves better. There is no pressure that can be placed on me and no force that is greater than the weight of the oath I took and my responsibility to the people I serve.”
McIlrath asked that people who are asking her to make public statements allow the investigation into Wells’ death to continue.
“I will present the Grand Jury with a thorough, complete, and fair investigation into the death of Nolan Wells.”
Read McIlrath’s full statement here
WDSU reached out to Crump’s office for a response to McIlrath’s statement. At this time, a response has not been received.
READ MORE:Mississippi district attorney addresses ‘pressure’ to release more on Nolan Wells’ death





